Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Letter To Greg Boyd

This is my letter to Greg Boyd. I have been seriously considering his open theism position, but I have a few logical qualms with it. Hopefully, he will respond with some good insight.

_________________________


Hey Rev. Boyd,
I have been looking into the possibility of open theism. Right now I'm sort of at a crossroads because I have always accepted the infinite foreknowledge view of God. I'm thinking that the openness position is fairly solid scripturally (rarely do its opponents use scripture to argue their points) and accounts better for the ridiculous complexity of everything.
But I have a couple problems with it. First off, I can't quite accept the idea of a God bounded by time. Quantum mechanics has shown that there are certain areas of the universe that are not affected by time. I have a difficult time believing that God could be limited by time and sequence, something that parts of His creation are not even limited by.
Secondly, if God has always existed, and is bounded by time, then an infinite number of seconds must have existed for Him. This seems pretty odd to me. An "infinite number" is really an oxymoron, since a number implies a limited quantity.
All in all I'm thinking God has to be outside of time and not limited by time. But to work sequentially, He has to limit Himself to time in some way. Otherwise He would never be able to talk to Moses on Mount Sinai, due to the fact that Moses is a time-bounded creature.
The only problem is, if He is ever at a state when He's outside of time, then He is in all times at once, right? If He were totally outside of time not limited to sequence (as He probably was before the creation of the universe) then all times would be the present. If all times are the present, and the creatures He created are doing things on earth bounded by time, then He would see all the points in time as they happened.
For instance, He would see the time when I started writing this letter and the time I finished, and all the times in between. My action, to write this letter, was free, but God could still see each instant of time in which I did in fact write the letter. So He sees all of the results of my free will decision, whether or not He sees the free will decision itself.
Then, say, He decides to enter time like open theists (I think) generally claim He did. So, when He creates the universe, He enters time and thus limits Himself. Open theists, if I am correct, say that at that point He also took on the mental characteristics of a time-bounded creature: i.e. not knowing what choices free will creatures would make.
So, essentially, He would have to forget all the stuff He already knew. And my point is, if He is outside of time at any point, that means that He can foreknow the free will decision of any creature judging by the results, without affecting the creature's free will.
Hopefully you see what I'm getting at. If you see any flaws in my logic, let me know. I'm very interested in your position and it has gotten me to think in a lot of ways I have not before. But I'm just trying to reason this out and it's not adding up right.
Thanks, and keep up the good work.
In Christ,
-Cameron Versluis

No comments:

Post a Comment